ASSE International is proud to announce the registration of its trademarked cASSE seal for Canada. ASSE is accredited by both the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) to certify products to a variety of standards from across the industry, including ASME, AWWA, CSA, NSF, and of course, ASSE. The cASSE Seal is used for certification to recognized Canadian standards. When you display the cASSE seal, you demonstrate that your products have gone through a single, rigorous, bi-national process. It is a distinct mark that’s used to show that products are compliant to both U.S. and Canadian requirements.
The cASSE mark can be used with the following standards:
- ASME A112.18.1 / CSA B125.1, Plumbing Supply Fittings
- ASME A112.18.2 / CSA B125.2, Plumbing Waste Fittings
- CAN/ASSE/IAPMO 1055-2020, Performance Requirements for Chemical Dispensers with Integral Backflow Protection
The Tri-harmonized standards:
- ASSE 1002 / ASME A112.1002 / CSA B125.12, Anti-Siphon Fill Valves for Water Closet Tanks
- ASSE 1016 / ASME A112.1016 / CSA B125.16, Performance Requirements for Automatic Compensating Valves for Individual Showers and Tub/Shower Combinations
- ASSE 1037 / ASME A112.1037 / CSA B125.37, Performance Requirements for Pressurized Flushing Devices for Plumbing Fixtures
- ASSE 1070 / ASME A112.1070 / CSA B125.70, Performance Requirements for Water Temperature Limiting Devices
As well as IAPMO standards such as:
- IAPMO PS 050, Flush Valves with Dual Flush Device for Water Closets or Water Closet Tanks with Integral Flush Valves with a Dual Flush Device
- IAPMO PS 072, Valves with Atmospheric Vacuum Breakers
- IAPMO PS 079, Multiport Electronic Trap Primers
In addition to the standards listed above, the cASSE mark may be displayed for standards recognized in the National Plumbing Code of Canada (NPC), such as:
- ASSE 1010-2004, Performance Requirements for Water Hammer Arresters
- ASSE 1051-2009, Performance Requirements for Individual and Branch Type Air Admittance Valves for Sanitary Drainage Systems
ASSE-listed products are tested by qualified and accredited laboratories to the strict performance requirements of industry standards. Test reports are reviewed by in-house technical services staff and the ASSE Seal Control Board (SCB). The SCB is a cross-section of the plumbing industry – manufacturers, inspectors, contractors, and professional engineers, with no more than one member from each segment allowed to vote on the certification of a product. Listed products are inspected for compliance annually and retested every five years.
ASSE is encouraging current clients to adopt the cASSE mark whenever possible. The cASSE mark improves market access by opening acceptance into the Canadian market. Certifying with ASSE for U.S. and Canada allows manufacturers to save time and money on factory audits and renewals, as well as providing for a single certification contact. The time and money associated with keeping multiple certifications increases with your ever-changing product portfolio. At ASSE, you have a certification partner who understands the importance of speed to market. ASSE’s expanded testing capabilities means that both new and existing clients can now consolidate all of their certifications, to multiple industry standards, under one umbrella – ASSE International.
To update your certifications, contact: email@example.com.
Article by Christopher L. White, PhD first appeared in ASSE’s Working Pressure magazine