October is only one short month away, which means the seventh annual Imagine a Day Without Water is just around the corner! As you begin to brainstorm ways in which you or your organization can engage, we are spotlighting participants from past years of Imagine a Day Without Water to promote how water and wastewater service is essential, invaluable, and in need of investment.
- In 2016, the Flagstaff Water Festival in Arizona taught basics of water conservation to fourth-grade students.
- In 2017, Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage Discrict (MMSD) opened a Green Infrastructure Center of Excellence and invited the public to come and learn about how MMSD can help size and design green infrastructure projects tailored to the city’s water resources.
- In 2018, Seattle Public Utilities issued a “No Water, No ______” campaign to express how water flows through every part of our society.
- In 2019, Alexandria Renew Enterprises partnered with Virginia American Water and the City of Alexandria to hold an educational pop-up event where they gave away free coffee and donuts from an Imagine a Day Without Water information booth.
- In 2020, KC Water of Missouri partnered with friends from utilities across the country to make a video on imagining a day without water.
For further inspiration, check out the past highlights page on the Imagine a Day Without Water website. The COVID-19 pandemic required Imagine a Day Without Water 2020 to be an entirely virtual and digital event. While we are not sure what the future holds, we encourage you to follow CDC guidelines and consider if an in-person event can be held safely in your community for Imagine a Day Without Water 2021.
Still unsure how you can get involved? We will be sharing additional resources, templates, toolkits, and graphics later this month. And if you haven’t already, don’t forget to sign up for Imagine a Day Without Water 2021 below!