The year 2020 has been year abounding with uncertainty, disruption, and challenges. Despite this chaos, the 2020 product standards activities have managed to be efficient and very productive. Since April 2020, an unprecedented number of revisions have been published or are soon to be published. There have been 12 ASSE standards published with an additional two standards having been reviewed and reaffirmed. There are additional revisions that are complete and scheduled to be published very soon. Additionally, work was completed on multiple ASSE Listing Evaluation Criteria (LEC) documents.
Published Since 2020 ASSE Mid-Year Meeting:
- ASSE 1002-2020/ASME A112.1002-2020/CSA B125.12:20, Anti-Siphon Fill Valves for Water Closet Tanks
- ASSE 1008-2020, Plumbing Aspects of Residential Food Waste Disposer Units
- ASSE 1023-2020, Electrically Heated or Cooled Water Dispensers
- ASSE 1035-2020, Laboratory Faucet Backflow Preventers
- ASSE 1037-2020/ASME A112.1037-2020/CSA B125.37:20, Pressurized Flushing Devices for Plumbing Fixtures
- ASSE 1044-2015(R2020), Trap Seal Primer – Drainage Types and Electric Design Types
- ASSE 1061-2020, Push-Fit Fittings
- ASSE 1064-2020, Backflow Prevention Assembly Field Test Kits
- ASSE 1070-2020/ASME A112.1070-2020/CSA B125.70:20, Water Temperature Limiting Devices
- ASSE 1072-2020, Barrier Type Trap Seal Protection for Floor Drains
- ASSE 1081-2014(R2020), Backflow Preventers with Integral Pressure Reducing Boiler Feed Valve and Intermediate Atmospheric Vent Style for Domestic and Light Commercial Water Distribution Systems
- ASSE 1086-2020, Reverse Osmosis Water Efficiency – Drinking Water
- ASSE 1090-2020, Drinking Water Atmospheric Water Generators (AWG)
- ASSE LEC 2010-2020, Proportional Flow Control Devices, with Protection from Cross-Contamination via Hydronic Water, for use in Drinking Water Installations
With this impressive list, one would think that the work is complete. That is not the case. There are 16 more standards under revision with the working groups. Four more standards are in queue and ASSE is seeking volunteers to participate in the working groups.
At the Product Standards Committee meeting in October, recommendations were made to open another four existing standards for revision and approved the development of two new standards. Additionally, the PSC agreed to reaffirm four standards.
This seems like a lot of work, but it’s important to acknowledge that the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) stipulates that American National Standards be reviewed every five years or less, requiring revision or reaffirmation. ASSE International is committed to keeping its standards current and relevant to the changing needs of the industry.
Working groups are forming to develop/revise the following product standards:
- ASSE 1019, Wall Hydrant with Backflow Protection and Freeze Resistance
- ASSE 1030, Positive Pressure Reduction Devices for Sanitary Drainage Systems
- ASSE 1052, Hose Connection Backflow Preventers
- ASSE 1057, Freeze Resistant Sanitary Yard Hydrants with Backflow Protection
- ASSE 1063, Air Valve and Vent Inflow Preventer
- ASSE 1102, Airgap Units for Water conditioning Installation
- ASSE 1103, First Stage Pressure Regulating Valves and High Range Pressure Regulating Valves
- ASSE 1104, Dishwater Drains Air Gap
Interested parties should contact email@example.com.
Article by Terry Berger first appeared in ASSE’s Working Pressure magazine