In February 2021, EPA released the WaterSense Specification for Homes, Version 2.0. The specification ensures that WaterSense labeled homes are at least 30 percent more water-efficient than a comparable home using typical new construction and also meet homeowner expectations for performance. Compared to Version 1.2, the Version 2.0 specification increases flexibility in meeting WaterSense’s technical requirements without compromising on overall water efficiency or performance, improves collaboration with green certification programs, and allows for easier implementation and certification. The specification is applicable to single-family homes and multifamily buildings.
- WaterSense Specification for Homes, Version 2.0 (PDF) (4 pp, 156 K, About PDF)
- WaterSense Specification for Homes, Version 2.0 Supporting Statement (PDF) (17 pp, 211 K, About PDF)
- Response to Public Comments Received on the Draft of the WaterSense Labeled Homes Program, Version 2 (PDF)(52 pp, 847 K, About PDF)
- Fact Sheet – WaterSense Labeled Homes Program, Version 2 (PDF) (2 pp, 698 K, About PDF)
To confirm that homes are at least 30 percent more water-efficient than a comparable home using typical new construction, EPA evaluates a Home Certification Organization’s (HCO) certification methods according to its technical evaluation process:
- WaterSense Technical Evaluation Process for Approving Home Certification Methods, Version 1.0 (PDF) (39 pp, 495 K, About PDF)
- Fact Sheet – Ensuring WaterSense Labeled Homes Deliver on Efficiency (PDF) (2 pp, 595 K, About PDF)
To confirm that homes meet an approved HCO certification method, the EPA WaterSense Homes Certification System requires a home to be inspected by a verifier and certified by the HCO.
WaterSense Labeled Homes Program Transition
During 2021, EPA is making a transition from Version 1.2 to Version 2.0 of the WaterSense Specification for Homes. While Version 2.0 offers builders more flexibility, builders may continue to pursue certification using the WaterSense New Home Specification, Version 1.2 for any projects with permits issued by June 30, 2021. Certification of these homes must be finalized by December 31, 2021. Learn more about the transition.